Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Anticipation

Blogs are so strange... personal ones anyway. This one, I guess! Not knowing who the audience is... who you're writing to, because it isn't really yourself and yet if it doesn't at least kind of read like a journal/diary, then what's the point? I think my life is interesting, and it's the one I want. It's the one that makes me happy, and I am thankful that this spirit is in this body with this mind. But what I should write in a blog leaves me a little confused, even while I want to write one!

So now that I've potentially confused anyone else reading this, I better move on...

Work has been hectic, but it's settling now. I came to this company as part of a buy-out. My prior boss retired from the industry and my now-boss bought his company/book of business, and my coming along to help with the transition and be here long-term was part of the arrangement. One difference has been that this is a bigger company than my former one, and my role within it is not as clear as before. I don't have the same level of confidence or authority to take action on things, and at times I felt overpaid by not having as much work to do as I was accustomed to. It's been a year here now, almost exactly a year, and I've gotten a much better handle on things now, and I'd asked my boss for more work several times. Some weeks ago, he went to a seminar on a program that I was given the lead on to incorporate into the company, and since he went there, I was given a ton of work to do, including creating and implementing some new procedures, which is always an interesting and time-consuming challenge. But I'm getting my hands around all of it now, and so things are just moving along. I'm thankful for my job and to be doing something that isn't monotonous. Although there are days that I miss being a cashier at a grocery store. Clocking in and out at reliable times and just having to remember four digit codes on produce..... it sounds kinda dreamy sometimes.

Life is good as well. We're planning out some house updates across the next several months. We'd like to put some flooring in, but that's probably going to happen with our tax refund if not later. Paint shouldn't be too too pricey, and Seth decided to step back and let me choose the colors for wherever. In his words, we don't have the same taste, and I think he decided to just defer to me this time. I'm happy! And we need to fence in the back yard for the dogs. A friend said he could help us, and it's possible that we'll tackle that during the winter months when our friend's schedule clears up.

We're heading out to Kentucky for annual youth camp aka the Youth Advance in a couple of weeks. A part of me is dreading it, only because it's physically exhausting, but I know once I'm there I'll suddenly have all the energy in the world, and the youth are so amazing that it'll fly by. We also get to see some of our dear friends from Vermont, who Seth misses especially since moving here to Florida. His best friend is going to be there, who is one of the absolute nicest, neatest guys on the planet, and we can't wait to spend time with him and others.

I lead the ladies ensemble at our church, and tonight we're having a vocal practice for the Ladies Advance in September. I'm excited to share the song my friend and I wrote and get working on it. It's always a mystery as to how it will all sound put together. The practice CDs are all in my voice, including parts that aren't comfortable for my vocal range, so hearing the different voices together, confidently, is always a surprise. But it takes time to learn a new song, so we are weeks away from there yet.

I hope you've had a great start to the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment