Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Politics are yucky.

I don't have an inherent interest in government and politics. I feel like I can deal with all and sundry decisions that are made from the top, whether they're laws or taxes or whatever. Our government has the potential to change so frequently that I feel that given enough time, the really rotten things will go away and new ideas come around. I'm not a newspaper reader or a political talk show watcher. In fact, I tend to get annoyed when people state their personal views as though everyone shares them. I am pretty quiet about my political thoughts, in part because I know I have my right to vote for whatever, and it's my responsibility to be educated about issues, so I don't ever feel qualified to participate in an argument about anything. Despite all of this, somehow I've been listening to talk radio.

It must have started when I'd get in the car and the radio would be turned to the political talk station that Seth had been listening to if he'd been the last one to drive. At first, I would just switch the station, but then I realized that they actually have really good news on my morning drive, and I felt more informed about what was going on in the world thanks to their straight forward news delivery. Then when I'd hop in the car on my lunch break, I'd hear Neal Boortz, who I just can't tolerate for more than 45 seconds. I ended up telling Seth about this, how I can't stand that guy, and Seth's response made me question if we were in agreement on that, which kind of shook me for a little while. Seth and I didn't talk politics at all prior to getting married, so I was a bit surprised to find that we view the government quite differently. Anyway, on the Marriage Getaway a few weeks ago, Seth suggested we listen to the Mel Robbins show, because I might like her. I found that, on the whole, I did and do.

Now, when I check Facebook out, I see so many of my FB friends, many of which I don't have any real relationship with, are posting their political one-liners, their fury at the President, or at Republicans, or at ObamaCare or whatever else. And I get really annoyed by it. I feel like no one has a "good argument" out there. From what I hear on the radio or see on Facebook or read here or there, people have their gut stances on the basics of government, and they aren't able to be rational about the other side's points of view - they just criticize.

I marvel at some brilliant minds who make such a good case against their opponent, but they aren't able to think critically about the one that represents their own party. It frustrates me, and it makes me dread the next four months of escalating political talk. It reminds me of when people chastise how others donate money, for example if they donate to an animal rights organization, the donor may be criticized for not giving to starving children. And I always think..... let people follow their causes, give them room to support what stirs their hearts - it doesn't mean that if you care about animals, you don't care about starving children... both are worthy causes, both merit support. So when I hear people bash one side and blindly protect their own, I think... can't you reason that there are important things happening on both sides? Ugh!

No comments:

Post a Comment